Friday, August 3, 2007

What informs JK Rowling's "Harry Potter" Series?

Probably taking a risk in posting this, but this is for my friends who are in on this conversation. Check out this opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal:

It has been widely observed that J.K. Rowling owes a creative debt to Christian fantasists J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis (apart from their fondness for initials). It's odd now to remember that, at the same time, some parents have objected to the magic depicted in the Harry Potter books as a glorification of satanic practices. For "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" confirms something else apart from the well-thought-out-ness of Ms. Rowling's moral universe: It is subtly but unmistakably Christian.
For some good stimulation, check out this informed lecture by Rev. Jeff Meyers on "What Should Christians do with Harry Potter?" (comes with an nifty power point).


Also, this October 2000 Vancouver Sun interview is interesting in light of Book 7:
Are you a Christian?

“Yes, I am. Every time I've been asked if I believe in God, I've said yes, because I do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that, and I have to say that does suit me, because if I talk too freely about that, I think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess what's coming in the books.”

1 comment:

Heather said...

I knew it!
I love that last quote. I think I'll link you after the wedding. :)
Missing you.