Monday, February 11, 2008

New RUF Semester in Full Swing

We've had four meetings of the new semester in RUF, and things are off to a good start. We are having around 30+ students attending, Geraldo has taught on the New Year and New Mission that Jesus came to launch in fulfilling the old promise of God (Luke 4:18-21). Last week I had the privilege of teaching our RUF group on the call of Abraham and the old promise that God set in motion to bless this world through Abraham and his descendents (Genesis 12). [Here's a few pics my wife took of the evening....]

Having taught in our seminary in Spanish (or more accurately, Spanglish!), this was my first opportunity to teach RUF in Spanish, that is, my first time to teach without a translator. I think I had everyone's attention, but I'm not convinced that they weren't straining trying to figure out what this gringo was trying to say. After, several folks said that they could understand about 90%, so I guess that's not a bad start. I still have far to go, but we're making progress!

Please be in prayer for our group. We are having around 30 students attending, and this year is in many ways a transition year with some of our previous leaders no longer in the university.

Tuesday, I'm launching a small group on sexual purity--a much needed study here as in the States. Wednesday evening, we're launching a new discipleship group that will ground folks in the basics of Christianity. This study is broken into 3 stages and students can progress through it and complete it in about 8 months. And of course, please continue to pray for our Spanglish!

1 comment:

Brian Franklin said...

John, we're praying for you all the time, always keeping in mind your whole family's acquisition of the language.