Thursday, April 13, 2006

Call Me Sick...or Crazy...or Something Like That....

This is bizarre, but with May quickly approaching, I'm realizing that everything in our lives is about to get turned upside down, and I'm beginning to feel rather nostalgic about things around here.

For example, I had a dentist appointment this morning. Usually, not a fun thing to do. No matter how much I floss, I could always do more. I mean, is anyone satisified about their flossing? There is a parallel here to being satisfied with one's prayer life, but I digress....

As I left the dentist office of Dr. Birdwell, I realized that I'm going to miss this place. Not that I'm going to miss the dentist office per se (though the staff there is great), but what the dentist office represents: trusted friends that make Bryan / College Station a great place to live. I know my dentist, my mechanic, the regular faces behind the counter at the stores & restaurants that we frequent, the connectedness of this place.

Pastor & writer Eugene Peterson said in one of his books that he wanted to get to know the place in which he is ministering. Having spent over 10 years in Aggieland, I feel like I know this place. It is my place. My home. I know it. And yet there is so much more to know. And like a good friend you are just getting to know who unexpectedly gets reassigned to another city, our time here has been too short. But as someone has said, "Home is wherever God calls you to live."

Man, we don't want to leave. I wish that we could pick up this place and drop it right next to Trujillo. We don't want to leave, but we are willing to go. And I think that is a good thing. The people & places of Trujillo will soon fill our hearts, and I trust God will once again wed our hearts to our new home.

No comments: