Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Old Man

As some of you may or may not know, I celebrated another b-day several weeks ago. Yes, I know, it is hard to believe, but I hit the big 3-7. I'm certainly feeling my age a bit more these days. I think it must be something of the combination of living in a foreign country trying to learn a new language (the perpetual fatigue-headache is lessening!) and raising five covenant kids.

At any rate, my b-day didn't pass without a healthy dose of humility. I was up on the campus of the National University of Trujillo and was chatting with some students. One girl asked me how old I was, and I told her to guess. I braced myself to be flattered. That was a mistake.

She thought about it for a minute and said, "Cuarenta y cinco años" (45 years old). Trying to not to look too deflated, I said in an encouraging voice, "No,try again." She then said, "¡Cincuenta anos!" (50 years). What do you do in a situation like this? Slightly embarrassed, I said, "37." She said, "Oh! I thought you were older because of the little gray hairs on your chin." I nodded my head knowingly and thought its probably about time to start mourning the passing of my youth.

I told my wife about the incident and she encouraged me by saying that these gray hairs are evidence of wisdom and maturity. (That's why Heather is a great wife.) But it is getting harder and harder to pretend that I'm a recent college graduate, especially when twenty-somethings refer to me as a father figure. Oh well.

Here is a picture of a surprise birthday celebration (Peruvian style) that my friends in RUF gave me after one of the lectures on the campus (see the following blog entry).


Mis amigos gave me a song and a cake to share with the attendees of the lectures.



Here I am with Isabel and Geraldo, Pablo, Calin, & Obal. They (read "Pablo") tried to play a trick on the Gringo by telling him that it was a tradition for the birthday person to take a bite out of the cake. I was immediately suspicious (after all, I wasn't born yesterday!), and I had seen a birthday celebration or two and had never seen this, but I'm on the spot with a bunch of folks looking at me so I thought, Sure, why not. I'll be the butt of a joke and do something crazy. So I opened my mouth and at that moment felt Pablo's hand conspicously on my neck. Then I knew what he was up to! Doesn't he know that in my old age that I am skilled in getting even?

6 comments:

Joshua Butcher said...

Just think of it this way: you are still young enough to have an eternity in heaven ahead of you. Given that comparison a few gray hairs are like growth spurts toward glory.

Besides, every man ought to know that he isn't officially old until his oldest son can beat him in physical activities.

John said...

Joshua, thanks for encouraging the old man! My chest swelled with the knowledge that I can still take down my kids, and even more than one at a time!

John

Anonymous said...

John
Thanks for the new blog.
I'll catch you up on Spring Cypress Pres in a minute, but regarding the young lady guessing your age. She was kind by noticing your grey hairs, but I think its our mid-tire section around the waist that ages us.
I am viewing you birthday cake photo w/your group and by the photo...well let's just say "share that cake, buddy" hahahaha

I am glad God is working so well with you and your family.
Our family and church family are doing fine. Dave has done a fine job and is building credibility every week. His weekly message is resonating.

My day needs to start so I must be going, so God bless you all.

Terry Wright - Spring, Tx
twright@growthb2b.com

Texana said...

Howdy, John. I know you have had your facial hair for a long time and it gives you kind of a distinguished look. Your comment made me remember how amazed I was when your dad shaved his beard and mustache. He looked SO MUCH YOUNGER! Try it and see--you can always grow it back.

Love, Mom

ps. let me know how you get even with Pablo.

John said...

Terry, hey now, watch the low punches! I'm sure its just the camara angle, or perhaps its that images add a little weight (no, can't be that--it doesn't for the peruvians), or it must be the carb-loaded foods that everyone serves here with papas & rice!

Great to hear from you. Glad to hear how things are going at Spring Cypress. Keep us posted.
John

John said...

Hey Mom, I've had it for so long that I'm afraid of what I might look like without it!
John