Saturday, November 3, 2007

Prayer Requests

* As some of you know, my father is in the middle of a battle with cancer. He is about 20 days into his first round of 26 treatments with radiation and chemotherapy, and he is fairly weakened from it. Please pray for strength, endurance, faith, & healing. It is frustrating for us to be so far away, though I may be able to travel to the US in December when he is supposed to have surgery to remove a tumor.

* While not nearly as serious (and I feel a little silly requesting this in light of what my dad is going through), I have had an upper respiratory infection since the middle of September. It bothers me mostly in the morning and at night, though I have coughing fits during the day too. Our friend from Illinois, Dr. Doolittle, examined me about two weeks ago when he was here and said that there is no evidence of pneumonia. At any rate, I have need for strength, endurance, faith, & healing as well.

* In the previous post, I mentioned my seminary in Apologetics that I'm teaching. A lot if not most of the concepts would be challenging to communicate in English, let alone Spanish. Pray for my language acquisition and continued development, and pray for my students as well that God would grant them insight, a love for the Gospel, and greater abilities to engage our culture as they participate in proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom of Christ.

4 comments:

Joshua Butcher said...

I'm praying for you John.

Remember, no skill (or lack thereof) is able to force or thwart the Spirit's illumination of our minds to the Truth.

Have you ever read De Maegistro (On the Teacher) by St. Augustine? It might be a comfort to you as you struggle with teaching in a foreign language (and it is a very short read).

Texana said...

ok, first of all, the sooner you ask for prayers, the sooner you get them. Second, are you coughing anything up? What color is it? Do you need allergy medicine?

Love, Mom

John said...

Hey Joshua,

I'm familiar with that book, but haven't yet read it. Thanks for the heads up.

Miss you. Tell the wife we said Howdy, or in our case now, Hola.

J

Joshua Butcher said...

We miss you too John!

Thanks for posting the links to your friend's blog concerning the "Anonymous" posting. I enjoyed reading his essay.