Tuesday, March 4, 2008

McDonald's Comes to Trujillo

Our kids are excited about this.

"After ten years in the Peruvian market and with a $750 thousand investment, the US fast food chain McDonald’s inaugurated today its first restaurant outside of Lima (Peru's capital) located at Mall Aventura Plaza in the city of Trujillo (La Libertad)."

I guess what is interesting about this (other than our kids being excited about it) is what it says about Trujillo turning an economic corner. With two malls opening in the last six months, the arrival of Papa John's, KFC, & Pizza Hut, Trujillo is starting to have a bit of an economic boom. As many of you know, Trujillo is a city of around a million people--the third largest in Peru.

Says the general manager, “We have chosen Trujillo to open our fist restaurant outside of Lima because it is a city that has registered an impressive economic development thanks to the efforts made by its people and authorities”.

This restaurant "would create 80 new jobs and would offer the most complete McDonald’s restaurant with a playground (a children area with the familiar crawl-tube design with ball pits and slides), two dessert centers, a McCafé and two special rooms for birthday parties."

At any rate, FYI. I guess I'm a little excited too. I never thought I would be at a place in my life where I thought McD's hamburger's were real hamburger's--and would actually crave one, but in comparison to what passes for hamburgers around here, we're all lovin' it.

4 comments:

Brian Franklin said...

I guess I would have to be in your position to appreciate the arrival of McDonald's. Then again, I would take that any day over tacu-tacu with baby octopi...

John said...

I remember that plate!!! I still feel bad for you. At least you survived, plus it makes a great story¡
John

Texana said...

It may not be Whataburger (which we don't have in North Carolina either) but perhaps they will have sausage biscuits! Miss you guys. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

McDonald's is smart for adapting high-end coffee to a slow economy, but still, their McCafe coffees aren't a whole lot less than Starbucks